One city always seems to win the award for most-wanted style—Paris, where people walking down the avenues mix timeless and trendy pieces in a way that appears simply effortless.
From my personal research and time spent in Paris, I’ve come up with a few tips to achieve that particular “je ne sais quoi” of Parisian street style. Whether you’re going on a European adventure and need a temporary style upgrade or if you’re just looking to up your closet game, here are a few tips to dress like a Parisian man.
- Splurge on a few key pieces. For most guys this will involve a pair of selvedge denim, sport-coat, leather jacket, timepiece, chambray shirt, etc. Basically when it comes to your everyday wear, you’ll want to spend more for quality and have less quantity.
- Slim down. Parisian menswear is cut a slimmer than what most Americans are used to. Higher armholes, tapered pant legs, and slimmer fits throughout the torso.
- It’s all in the shoe. I’m a firm believer in spending a lot on footwear. Your eyes might be the window to your soul, but your shoes and the condition of your shoes are the window to just about everything else. The beauty of buying a versatile and well-made shoe is how they look equally as cool paired with a suit as they do anchoring a t-shirt and denim. Also, no other article of apparel takes a beating quite like your shoes so treat them well by sending them to a trusted cobbler and store them with a cedar shoe tree.
- Mix dressy and casual. For men, a luxurious blend of athletic and well-tailored sportswear make up a go-to look Parisians cop on the daily. Ex: Suit + Stan Smiths.
- Tone down the color. The streets of paris are loaded with copious amounts of black and neutrals. The Parisian man loves black and neutrals because they get the most return on investment with the versatility and endless opportunities to mix and match.
Sunglasses: Prada | Shirt: Sandro | Denim: A.P.C | High Top Sneakers: Lanvin
For my Parisian inspired look, I stuck with a few of my favorites- Sandro, A.P.C., and Lanvin. A Hawaiian print by Sandro brings in a retro feel paired with my A.P.C. Petit Standard denim. Pop of color courtesy of my green Lanvin high-tops.
Photography: Jocelyn Smith Photography